We received so many great stories for Grumpy 1 that we decided to do a Grumpy 2 anthology. We had close to 100 submission and only 12 slots to fill.
So if you missed the first deadline we are doing it again, or if you did not make it into the first one we invite you to submit another story to Grumpy 2. Deadline March 30th. Submission guidelines below.
GRUMPY OLD GODS VOLUME 2
MARCH 30TH, 2019
GRUMPY OLD GODS: SEEKING
We’re looking for stories about mythical Gods who are waning, reborn, retired, or otherwise AWOL from their assigned post.
We invite you to re-imagine old myths, mine your local retirement home for things that tickle your fancy, and invite your Muse to go wild. The only requirement is that the god or goddess in question (or whole pantheon if you so choose) must be retired, retiring, waning in power, or ignoring their responsibilities. Bonus points for good humor.
What is Speculative Fiction? Well, Wikipedia says… “It encompasses the genres of science fiction, fantasy, science fantasy, horror, alternative history, and magic realism.”
RATING: PG-13 TO PG-17
Any sex, violence or foul language MUST be tastefully handled and necessary to the plot enhancing the story rather than distract. Excessive use will probably not fit with anthologies overall tone. NO Erotica.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS:
March 30th, 2019
Word Doc or PDF (No Google Docs please, but we’re willing to work with you if you need to submit in a different format, just contact us!)
Tentative Date June-July 2019
Grumpy Gods, retired, waning in power or ignoring their responsibilities.
WHAT RIGHTS ARE WE ASKING FOR?
We’re asking for the right to print the stories in the anthology, but the writers will retain everything else.
All authors who participate in the collection will receive an equal portion of the profit, paid quarterly via paypal. None of the startup costs for the book (book cover, formatting, etc…) will be deducted from the proceeds.
Vanessa Wells and Juneta Key.
WHO WE ARE:
Juneta Key: You know her as the woman who puts together the Storytime Blog Hop posts. The social media skills are strong with this one.
Vanessa Wells: Self-professed short story junkie and editor of two previous anthologies Spirit and Trick or Treat.
- Must be your original work. You own all copyrights.
- You can create your own god. Made up welcomed. Must be your original work.
- A character must interact with a grumpy god(s) in some fashion. An immortal character will probably work best, but if you can make it work in the scenario where grumpy god is involved we will consider it. It must fit the theme and tone of the anthology. Read what we are looking for above, if still unsure, email us.)
- Any pantheon is okay as long as it is not in violation of any copyrights laws. e.g. copyright has expired considered part of public domain. We would especially be happy to see some stories for the Egyptian pantheon.
- We prefer first-run rights, but we will consider reprints if the story is really good and fits the anthology theme.
- No dual submissions. If you have submitted your piece to someone else do not submit to us.
- If you have an idea you think fits the theme but is not outlined or a question about it email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WANT TO STAY-UP-TO-DATE WITH GRUMPY 1 & 2 ANTHOLOGIES, HEAR ABOUT NEW ANTHOLOGY CALLS FOR SUBMISSION IN THE FUTURE? SIGN UP HERE